If you’ve recently been told you require orthodontic treatment, you are not alone. In 1996 the American Association of Orthodontists reported that 4.4 million North Americans received some sort of orthodontic treatment. Why is this sort of dental treatment so common? Well there are several reasons as to why your dentist may suggest orthodontics:
– Teeth which are crowded (Class I malocclusion)
– Teeth that stick out
– An under-biteover-bite: when your lower teeth protrude farther than your upper teeth (Class II malocclusion)
– An over-under-bite: when your upper teeth protrude farther than your lower teeth (Class III malocclusion)
– A cross-bite: when your upper and lower teeth do not align laterally
– Large gaps in between adjacent teeth
While these irregularities can occur naturally, they can also be worsened by bad habits such as grinding your teeth and/or thrusting your tongue. It’s important to fix these dental issues because they can result in the following cosmetic and health impairments:
– Misaligned teeth can cause problems with enunciation and can cause or worsen a lisp.
– Crooked teeth can create an extra buildup of plaque, which is harder to reach via brushing and flossing. This increases the risk for periodontal disease.
– Misaligned teeth can also impair the ability to chew food properly, resulting in indigestion and possible gastrointestinal problems.
– Misplaced teeth can result in increased wear on your teeth, which can weaken teeth and increase the risk for chipping or breaking. This would result in the need for a more serious operation such as a crown or dental implant.
– Straight teeth will maintain the shape of your jaw and gums and are considered more attractive looking.
What types of orthodontic treatments are available?
The most common type of treatment used to be metal braces, which consist of brackets, wires and elastics. While metal braces used to be the treatment most often recommended by a dentist, there is now an alternative with invisalign. Invisalign in Laval provides wearers with a more comfortable alternative to metal braces. Invaslign braces consist of clear plastic retainers. Unlike metal braces, invisalign retainers are removable, which means wearers can eat, brush and floss more effectively. Cosmetically, invisalign retainers are practically invisible, eliminating the embarrassing factor of metal braces. If you’re looking for an effective alternative to metal braces, consult your dentist about invisalign in Laval.
So, while your dentist suggesting orthodontic treatment can be an inconvenience, maintaining an aligned and healthy keeping your mouth healthy is an important part of maintaining your overall health. Additionally, new treatments, such as Invisalign in Laval, provide comfortable alternatives to traditional orthodontic treatments.
Membre de l’Ordre des dentistes du Québec et propriétaire de la Clinique dentaire de l’Avenir, Dre Gallant a obtenu son doctorat en médecine dentaire à l’Université de Montréal en 2010. Dès le début de sa pratique multidisciplinaire, elle manifeste un intérêt marqué pour la chirurgie et la dentisterie esthétique. Toujours dans le souci de perfectionner son art, elle participe à plusieurs cours de formation continu afin de prodiguer les soins dentaires les plus sophistiqués à ses patients. Son approche personnalisée et tout en finesse inspire confiance aux plus craintifs. Pour elle, un sourire éclatant de santé est gage de confiance et de succès.